Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Packard "Landaulet" 1912 - 1:32

I've started this year with a classic: Packard from Smer models. Pretty simple and decent kit in terms of quality, I had worse. A lot of details may be added or redone after comparing with the real thing. Here is a picture with all the elements from the kit:
After a good research I wanted to change the backseat to look more appropriate to the original shape, so first I had to cut/remove the bench which I consider very ugly. Here is a picture with before and after cutting:
From a styrene sheet I've made the structure of the seat:
...then with the great help of milliput I sculpted the entire seat:
...and the armrest too:
I didn't wanted to spend too much time on detailing the interior so I put some color on it and some fine grey flocking for the carpet:
The soft top was another detail that I wanted to improve. Those "stripes" didn't look too realistic for me so with a cone shaped drill bit I did some trimming:
...and some ridges from styrene: 
The front seat was mandatory to improve, this is an unclosed detail so it should look very good:
As a base I used the seat from the kit but I had to remove some of the plastic in order to add the milliput and sculpt some details in it:
Consulting with the original pictures of Packard I like to add more and more details. Time is a problem so there's a limit to any project. I added some rivets to the hood, this way looks more interesting:
I covered the interior and windows so I can prepare and paint the body:
Many other details were modified or redone from scratch in order to look better. All the lights on the car were done from scratch, the tire holder adjusted, the horn is done from scratch (therecwas no horn in the kit and that's shame because is a nice detail on classic cars), that linkage shaft from the lateral of the soft top was redone ( thinner detail and more similar to original)...
There's a point in a project when I forget to take pictures, sooo I will present the final pictures of the car:





















Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Gravestone tutorial

 I've started a diorama which includes a few gravestones and I wanted to share my technique. So here it is. Step one I've decided that the best material for the base is the Kapa foam board (high density foam between two sheets of cardboard):
Any interesting gravestone has some decorations and engraved text on it, so I've etched on a lasercut printer some designs. All I had to do was to trim and incorporate it into my gravestone:
Next step was to level and cover the gaps with construction filler and buff the surface; being an old gravestone, imperfections will fit just perfect:
In order to stand out, I've painted the decoration with lots of layers. I've used the same watered filler (diluted with plain water)...layer after layer and fast drying with hair drier:
 
more cracks were added with a paper cutter and the result is this:
The same filler I've used for covering the edge of the gravestone, then sand it for a proper finish:
  
 A bigger crack will look even more interesting:
Over time the stone becomes textured so filler was used again for this addition:
Enough with texture, finally I can add some color...spray paint with black:
After that a light spray with grey, at this point the engraved text is not that visible:
Next a wash with brown color will fill any small gaps, cracks and so on, the text still not showing:
 
But with a dry brushing with light ochre it does a bit, then with white because this is an old blunt stone:
This is it: